Monday, 15 August 2011

50% hike in British rail fares? Thanks EU!

Below is the comment I made on the following Facebook post, from the EU Referendum Campaign:



Comment:


There are some really interesting comments being made here, and it makes a change to see a intellectual discussion that doesn't descend into name-calling, as can so often happen to comment threads of newspaper articles. I would like to state that BR was just another tragic case of an industry (and jobs) being destroyed because of EU rules, and let's not even mention the most criminal of policies - fisheries, and what it has done to the UK. I stand in agreement with the points that the destruction of our trade links with the Commonwealth was the prerequisite of entry (as was the subsequent domination of France in agriculture, because it suddenly became cheaper to buy from France than import from the Commonwealth) but that was always part of the plan. The beauty of it is that the French built their dominance on the back of subsidies AND by having the rest of Europe as their customers, not out of choice but because high tariffs made everywhere else expensive! Neat trick. I also agree wholeheartedly with the same-old European attitude, in particular France (and other countries) where they constantly disregard the rules without fear of consequence. In turn, they then abuse the law-abiding UK as they fearlessly buy up our companies. (Surprised EDF wasn't mentioned - remember when they charged us more to subsidise cheaper bills in France?) It's not protectionism I support, but a fair playing field - and that just doesn't exist! As I always tell my students, just try to buy a French supermarket or bank, and let's see what happens! Would love Tesco to go to France and sell apples from New Zealand or South Africa more cheaply than French ones! In conclusion, if the EU can't get it right economically, and then we consider the fact that politically it is corrupt and void of democracy, the case is getting stronger by the day to leave and reestablish our relationship with those countries that DO choose to be part of the EU, as people finally realise the Brussels effect on their lives. For years I've seen the way things were going, as I'm sure many of you have - and if someone would pay me to write about the EU I gladly would(!) but I leave you with a lovely link from yesterday's papers - pay attention to what the Italian Prime Minister is reported to have said. Thanks for reading.http://www.telegraph.co.uk​/finance/comment/ambroseev​ans_pritchard/8700782/ECB-​is-eurolands-last-hope-as-​bail-out-machinery-fails-t​o-resolve-crisis.html

No comments: