Friday, 11 April 2008

Debates, Debates!

Today was an interesting day. Students are in the middle of conducting mini-debates on the topic of "International Institutions are both necessary and effective in promoting dialogue and cooperation between nations." Although we started last week this is the first time I am including something about my classes in my blog. I wanted to take a moment to reflect on some really important things - those being: (a) The formality of students' clothing is wonderful - these guys and girls know when it is time to be formal and they have the whole outfit to go with it! (Even if Narciso didn't wear socks and must have suffered with the leather rubbing against his feet) (b) They find it hard to give their arguments and express themselves because they are still by and large relying on the expression of facts instead of what those facts try to communicate, which can only be understood or inferred through an analysis. (c) The final part of the debates which we have been conducting in Spanish have generally worked very well and tells me that (b) is not as big a problem as I thought, I love this part even if I don't understand it all! Some really good points have been coming across and they are much more articulate that one could think......I see real progress this semester in all of my students :)
-

No comments: