Friday, 18 September 2009

The Rubbish Strike

To add insult to injury, as if the Post Office fiasco wasn´t enough.......you have the strikers in Leeds.

I will do something quite uncharacteristic and officially state that I support them. Rubbish collection has been getting worse for years, and at the same time that draconian new rules to separate rubbish have been coming in. How can people comply when the infrastructure simply doesn´t exist to adequately support these wonderful environmentally-friendly ideas in the first place?

Take a look at this article.



Of course I don´t want Leeds to end up a mess, but something must be done. Council tax has risen excessively and the exact services that it is supposed to pay for have declined.

And to think that in Mexico that rubbish collection is far superior. Given, they must become environmentally-friendly here. But a twice-a-week collection where I live, and a daily collection in Mexico City surely isn´t bad. Wouldn´t a twice a week collection in London and Leeds just be heavenly?

Another example of how a developing country shows up the supposed developed and wealthier one.

Leeds residents, good luck in your dispute.

1 comment:

Alex van Terheyden said...

I get 2-3 collections a day in London - maybe more if you count the road sweepers. And thats Hackney.
I regards to Striking - what a surprise - The 1970's days of Labour are back - people getting away with striking murder. I don't support them but I do blame the shoddy councils for paying their executives too much money and not paying essential workers enough money