Saturday, 3 May 2008

A Tory victory..........fantastic!

Well, finally we have the full results of the local Council elections of 2008, where all councils in Wales had elections as well as a very many of them in England, and the Tories have been successful in putting Labour into third place. I must say that I haven't openly expressed my political persuasion for a good ten years, but I am very pleased at the result. Having recently joined the Tory party (and not because I am on a bandwagon or because they are the perfect party, but because I agree with some crucial policy approaches, such as NO to ID cards for the UK) this is fantastic news, capped off with the result in London and Ken Livingstone finally losing his mayoralty.

I did not perceive Ken as a bad person, but after eight years in office I felt a presidential-style approach to his reign at the heart of local government in London, and I felt that he was becoming arrogant, and rather like the Labour Party as a whole, just not listening.

I wish Boris Johnson the best in office, I sincerely hope that he does not make the same mistakes as the Tory party did in the 1990s, the days of sleaze must never return, and nor must the arrogance as it currently exists within the Labour Party - the arrogance that imposed tuition fees of £3000 per year; the arrogance that refused a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty and thus breaking a manifesto promise. I further sincerely hope that the crazy and extreme politically correct ideology that infests Labour can now be readjusted and we can just have some simple common sense without the fear of racism, xenophobia, homophobia and who we might offend influencing everything that is said and done. At the heart of the matter is the fact that we are still a country of free speech and we need to stop the fear to express ourselves, which seems to me to be a uniquely English trait from my perspective. Now it is ridiculous. Let's not be afraid but let's be prepared to defend what we say, and then we might think twice before saying it. It is my desire to see a touch of down-to-earth politics beginning at City Hall; this means getting on with the job at hand and cutting arrogance and fear out of the ability to get results. Good luck to Johnson.

No comments: